The holidays are officially on, and that means it’s time to talk about ways to keep your home safe from fire risks – and, the ways you can work alongside your smart home security system to accomplish that goal. Let’s talk about….
Keeping Your Christmas Tree Safe
If you’re the type of homeowner who puts up Christmas decorations right after Thanksgiving, then your home is vulnerable to bigger fire hazards. For instance: A natural Christmas tree bought in November will be dried out by Christmas day. You should water it well, but also be assured that your smart home security system will notify you right away if smoke is detected in the house. The central station will be notified as well, so that help can be on its way quickly if a fire breaks out.
Keeping Your Kitchen Safe
The smart home security system is also sensitive to smoke in the kitchen. When you’re baking pies, cookies and other butter-filled treats, there’s bound to be a little smoke in the kitchen at some point. You should open your kitchen windows to reduce the risk of smoke building up in the air – and of course, stay in the house to supervise the process (especially if kids are involved in the baking!). However, rest assured that excessive smoke build-up will trigger the smoke detection feature of your system.
Fireproofing Your Home
There may not be a way to 100% fireproof your home, but you can certainly reduce the risks of a fire breaking out by following these fire prevention tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
- Never fry a turkey indoors, and always thaw a turkey completely before frying.
- Choose a Christmas tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Make sure a tree is at least three feet away from any heat source and not blocking any exits.
- Use string lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory (i.e. UL listed lights). Remember, some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
- Replace any lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
These are some of the most important guidelines to having a safe home this holiday season. For questions on using your home security system to make it even safer, contact F.E. Moran Security Solutions.
About F.E. Moran Security Solutions
Since 2003, F.E. Moran Security Solutions has been a relationship-driven security company that is provides superior customer service, quality installations and state-of-the-art monitoring – and now, our services include smart home upgrades. We are proud that one of the top 50 security companies in the U.S., ranked by SDM Magazine, is our home security company in Illinois.